Promotion is the simplest and fastest way to use Facebook Ads in your business, but can it be that you know how to take advantage of the resource in the right way?
To promote a Facebook post, you need to have a page and be an administrator of it. Then just have one post that’s eligible, click the blue push button, select a target, target audience, set budget, campaign duration, and pay.
This post is performing better than 90% of the other posts on your page. How about promoting it for just $ 3?
If you have a fanpage on Facebook, it is likely that you have already seen an offer of this type.
But, no matter how simple it is to promote a post on the social network, is that the best ad format for your company?
What is post promotion
Promoting a post is the simplest way to advertise on Facebook .
Launched in 2012, it was a way to uncomplicate ads on the social network for entrepreneurs, since at that time Facebook was more useful for relationships than for Marketing.
The idea of the promotion is to show a certain publication to an audience that you have defined, increasing its reach.
Why promote a post
Promoting posts can help you find more people to like, share, and comment on your posts.
Promoted posts are also a way to reach people who may be interested in your content, but aren’t following it on Facebook.
The promoted post can have a Call-to-Action to lead people to take other actions, such as signing up for a newsletter , making a reservation, among others.
These are some possibilities of promoting publications:
- Choose a target audience : promoted posts can be shown to an audience of your choice. It is possible to define the location, interests and more. You can also create a custom audience, based on contacts you already have, or people who have a similar profile to those who already like your page.
- Locations: Facebook offers three locations to display your promoted posts: desktop news feed, mobile feed, and Instagram.
- Budget: the amount to pay to promote a post depends on how much you want to pay. You can select a predefined budget or customize the value. Promoted posts require a minimum of one dollar per day.
- Schedule posts: there is the possibility of defining how long you want your ad to be on the air, choosing an interval (7 days, for example) or a date for the ad to end.
- Ad Appearance: Your ad will look exactly the same as the post it was based on. The only difference is that the word “Promoted” will appear in the upper left corner of the post and you can add a Call-to-Action button in the lower right corner if you want.
How to promote a post on Facebook in 8 steps
Before you start promoting a post, you need to have:
- A business page posted on Facebook;
- A post that is eligible for promotion (we’ll talk about the types of posts that cannot be promoted below);
- Role of administrator, editor, moderator or advertiser on the page;
If you already have the above prerequisites, follow these 8 steps:
- Go to your page;
- Find the post you want to promote;
- Click the blue promotion button on the post (sometimes when a post on the Company Page is performing better than the others, Facebook displays the same blue promotion button in your news feed. That button serves as a shortcut so you can quickly create an ad);
- Now select your Goal, that is, the objective you want to achieve with this impulse. Facebook offers several options, depending on the type of ad you have selected, but the main ones are: increase visitors to your website, get more engagement, receive more messages, and get more video views.
- You will see various options by clicking on Audience. Select the one that corresponds to the target audience you want to reach and click Create new audience. You can choose between gender, age, location (near a certain address, region or even the whole world), interests, demographics and behavior;
- In the section on Budget, define how much you want to spend on your promoted post. You can choose between a predetermined budget or your own;
- Under Duration, choose how long your ad will be on the air with a default or custom option;
- Select a Payment option;
- Click Promote!
This type of ad is usually reviewed by Facebook in less than 60 minutes. However, in some cases, it may take longer.
Why can’t I promote my posts?
If you cannot boost the posts you want, it may be for various reasons:
- You did not define a payment method;
- The page remains to be published;
- You are not an administrator, advertiser, moderator or editor;
- Your ad account was closed (it is possible to reactivate it in the Ads Manager );
- The content you are trying to promote may be old or expired, which is often the case with job postings and other offers;
- You may be announcing an event that has already happened;
- Posts published before June 21, 2012 cannot be promoted;
- Old cover photos, other than the one used at the time, cannot be promoted;
- Profile photos, albums, live streams, notes (or posts with links to a note) cannot be promoted either.
Is it worth promoting posts on Facebook?
Post promotion is something that divides opinions in Digital Marketing . On the one hand, there are those who defend promotions as a simple way to create ads; on the other hand, there are those who believe that there are more effective ways to advertise on Facebook.
As we said at the beginning of the post, this is a simple way to impact your followers, making them see your content. Facebook has increasingly decreased the organic reach of posts on the social network and this can be a way for companies to generate results.
However, do not promote any post that you publish. It is better to choose those with the most potential to be viral and spread, or those that have some focus on an action, such as downloading a material, confirming at an event, among others.
Make tests with different formats, contents, audiences and see what works best on your page.
And if you want to go beyond promoting posts and explore other options, take a look at our Complete Guide to Facebook Ads . In this material you will get valuable information to get the best benefit from the ads on this social network.